Just what the doctor ordered! – The Los Angeles Dodgers
I LOVE the Los Angeles Dodgers! Why the change of heart? There really hasn’t been one. It’s the simple fact that the San Diego Padres OWN the LA Dodgers. San Diego has won 11 of 14 games against the “boys in blue” (they’re blue ’cause they’re singin’ the blues!) this season!
Tonight’s game completed the San Diego Padres’ THIRD sweep of the LA Dodgers this season (a 2-game series in early May, a 3-game series in July, and the 3-game series that ended tonight)! The Swingin’/Sweepin’ Friars are now only one game behind the Dodgers in the National League West (or “NL Worst” as some of ya’ll affectionately call the division). They have “Big Mo”, that is momentum, on their side and things are lookin’ good for now!
I wish I could say the same about Mark Prior and the Chicago Cubs. He’s on the disabled list again with tendonitis in his right shoulder.
I’m still rooting for the California/Anaheim Angels to do well in the American League. The Oakland Athletics are looking mighty tough to beat though.
On a different note, my buddy Sam posted the following on the Xanga entry he made yesterday. He got it off a forum on the internet (I’m guessing NASIOC.com – North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club).
I am only posting this because I think it’s very funny. I will not go out on a (long) limb and say that I would “classify” myself as this type of person. I will say that I agree with a good number of the things listed.
Real men of the world, stand up, scratch your butt, belch, and yell “ENOUGH!” I hereby announce the start of a new offensive in the Culture Wars – the Retrosexual movement.”
1. A Retrosexual man, no matter what the women insists, PAYS FOR THE DATE.
2. A Retrosexual man opens doors for a lady. Even for the ones that fit that term only because they are female.
3. A Retrosexual DEALS WITH IT, be it a flat tire, break-in into your home, or a natural disaster, you DEAL WITH IT.
4. A Retrosexual not only eats red meat, he often kills it himself.
5. A Retrosexual doesn’t worry about living to be 90. It’s not how long you live, but how well. If you’re 90 years old and still smoking cigars and drinking, I salute you.
6. A Retrosexual does not use more hair or skin products than a woman. Women have several supermarket aisles of stuff. Retrosexuals need an endcap (possibly 2 endcaps if you include shaving goods).
7. A Retrosexual does not dress in clothes from Hot Topic when he’s 30 years old.
8. A Retrosexual should know how to properly kill stuff (or people) if need be. This falls under the “DEALING WITH IT” portion of The Code.
9. A Retrosexual watches no TV show with “Queer” in the title.
10. A Retrosexual does not let neighbors screw up rooms in his house on national TV.
11. A Retrosexual should not give up excessive amounts of manliness for women. Some is inevitable, but major reinvention of yourself will only lead to you becoming a froo-froo little puss, and in the long run, she ain’t worth it.
12. A Retrosexual is allowed to seek professional help for major mental stress such as drug/alcohol addiction, death of your entire family in a freak tree chipper accident, favorite sports team being moved to a different city, favorite bird/dog expiring, etc. You are NOT allowed to see a shrink because Daddy didn’t pay enough attention to you. Daddy was busy DEALING WITH IT. When you screwed up, he DEALT with you.
13. A Retrosexual will have at least one outfit in his wardrobe designed to conceal himself from prey.
14. A Retrosexual knows how to tie a Windsor knot when wearing a tie-and ONLY a Windsor knot.
15. A Retrosexual should have at least one good wound he can brag about getting.
16. A Retrosexual knows how to use a basic set of tools. If you can’t hammer a nail or drill a straight hole, practice in secret until you can-or be rightfully ridiculed for the wuss you are.
17. A Retrosexual knows that owning a gun is not a sign that you are riddled with fear-guns are TOOLS and are often essential to DEAL WITH IT. Plus, it’s just plain fun to fire one off in the direction of those people or things that just need a little “wakin’ up”.
18. Crying. There are very few reasons that a Retrosexual may cry and none of them have to do with TV commercials, movies, or soap operas. Sports teams are sometimes a reason to cry, but the preferred method of release is swearing or throwing the remote control. Some reasons a Retrosexual can cry include (but are not limited to) death of a loved one, death of a pet (fish do NOT count as pets in this case), loss of a major body part, or loss of major body part on your Chevy truck.
19. When a Retrosexual is on a crowded bus and or a commuter train, and a pregnant woman, heck, any woman gets on, that retrosexual stands up and offers his seat to that woman, then looks around at the other so-called men still in their seats with a disgusted “you punks” look on his face.
20. A Retrosexual knows how to say the Pledge properly, and with the correct emphasis and pronunciation. He also knows the words to the Star Spangled Banner.
21. A Retrosexual will have hobbies and habits his wife and mother do not understand, but that are essential to his manliness, in that they offset the acceptable manliness decline he suffers when married/engaged or in a serious healthy relationship – i.e., hunting, boxing, shot putting, shooting, cigars, car maintenance.
22. A Retrosexual knows how to sharpen his own knives and kitchen utensils.
23. A Retrosexual man can drive in snow (heck, a blizzard) without sliding all over or driving under 20mph, without anxiety, and without high-centering his ride in a snow bank.
24. A Retrosexual man can chop down a tree and make it land where he wants. Wherever it lands is where he damn well wanted it to land. Except on his truck-that would happen because of a “force of nature”, and then the retrosexual man’s options are to Cry, or to DEAL WITH IT, or do both.
25. A Retrosexual will give up his seat on a bus to not only any women, but any elderly person or person in military dress. NOTE: The person in military dress may turn down the offer but the Retrosexual man will ALWAYS make the offer to them and thank them for serving their country.
26. A Retrosexual man doesn’t need a contract-a handshake is good enough. He will always stand by his word even if circumstances change or the other person deceive him.
27. A Retrosexual man doesn’t immediately look to sue someone when he does something stupid and hurts himself. We understand that sometimes in the process of doing things we get hurt and we just DEAL WITH IT!
Well, it’s almost Tuesday, August 22, 2006 here in the Greater Los Angeles area.
I might as well wish my sister, Leilani, a
HAPPY 24TH BIRTHDAY!
Now, if you would only listen to what I have to say! semi-j/k! I love you and God bless!
My dad, Melvin, also turned 62 yesterday (Sunday).
Behold! Here is the new OFFICIAL fight song of First Chinese Baptist Church, Walnut’s Unikoi High School Fellowship! FIGHT ON for ol’ JC! Fight on to victory! Fight on!!!
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not His equal.
Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God’s own choosing:
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;
Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.
And though this world with devils filled should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.
That Word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill, God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.
Audio clip and information are from the hymn’s page at Center for Church Music
Devotional (not mine…it’s from the same web site)
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1). With a beautiful reminder of that truth, “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” gives us hope amidst the struggles of life. The words, written nearly five hundred years ago, still ring true today: When life storms blow in around us, we can find refuge in the mighty fortress of our God.
In this hymn we also find words of battle. We’re reminded of our “ancient foe”–the devil who constantly strives to pull us down. And haven’t we all felt the harshness of Satan’s attacks? He often strikes at our weakest point, telling us lies and tempting us to give in to despair and sin. He’s a formidable enemy.
But he’s also a doomed enemy. And in the strains of “A Mighty Fortress,” we find hope that Satan won’t triumph. We’re fighting on the right side. And we will win the battle. But not because of our own strength–as the hymn so elequently says, “our striving would be losing.” No, the victory is ours only when we turn to the mighty fortress, to the command of Jesus Christ.
So the next time you’re surrounded by stormy weather, when Satan’s attacks spark fear, pain, or indecision, remember the words of our hymn. And instead of trying to win the battle with your own feeble efforts, turn instead to the mighty fortress. When you put your struggles in the hands of God, you can be confident that you’ll survive the battle.
The one hymn that most symbolizes the Protestant Reformation is “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.” In it, Martin Luther proclaims his confidence in God and rallies all Christians to war against evil. Basing his words on Psalm 46, he victoriously states “We will not fear, for God has willed His truth to triumph through us.” Those persecuted and martyred for their convictions during the Reformation sang these words.
Luther understood the power of evil: After he posted his ninety-five theses on the door of Wittenberg’s Castle in 1517, he faced years of trials and persecution, he was excommunicated from the Roman church, and he continually faced threats against his life and his freedom. Other reformers had been persecuted and burned at the stake.
But he also knew “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in danger” (Psalm 46:1) and so he wrote “A Mighty Fortress is our God,” proclaiming boldly that “the prince of darkness grim, we tremble not for him . . . one little word shall fell him.”
Since he wrote it in 1529, Luther’s hymn has been translated into nearly every language. There are said to be over eighty English translations alone to this hymn, but the version most used in the United States is the translation by Frederic Henry Hedge in 1852.
The first line of “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” is inscribed on the tomb of Martin Luther at Wittenberg. And its powerful words and tune continue to live. The hymn was sung at the funeral of President Dwight D. Eisenhower at the National Cathedral in Washington DC, March 1969. And it was also included in the National Service of Prayer and Remembrance, held shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks against America.
Victory signs up, everybody!
So much to say, but I know I won’t have time to say what I really want to say…
1. First Chinese Baptist Church, Walnut Summer Retreat 2006 (Can you see my disdain for acronymns?) at Palomar Christian Conference Center (or something like that) hidden in Palomar State Park, August 4-7, 2006
2. Volunteering at DCLA 2006 at the Anaheim Convention Center, August 7-11, 2006
This entry will deal with some of the simpler, not as important things in life…
I think I was the only one I talked to yesterday that knew left-handers day is August 13th. Hopefully, some of ya’ll out there can help me celebrate in 2007!
Introducing the 2007 Acura RDX
The 2007 Acura RDX (I have no idea what “RDX” stands for. However, I can tell you that “WRX” stands for “World Rally Cross”! ) has arrived! We have one black one currently sitting on our showroom floor. I was talking to the Internet Sales Manager about it and he said that quite a few people have placed deposits on it already.
-240 horsepower 2.3 liter i-VTEC® inline-4 engine
-Honda’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD)™
-Available navigation system, AcuraLink™ traffic information, HandsFreeLink™ Bluetooth phone capability
Visit the Acura web site for more information!
The latest vehicle I’ve been “feeling”, however, is the Mazda 3. I would like a fully-loaded one in red with gold wheels to drive everyday.
Anyone want to “photoshop” gold wheels onto this for me?
Boo Los Angeles Dodger$!!!
My Padres better get their act together!!! Let’s go Friars!
Since I didn’t get to drive the “Highway to the Stars” earlier in the month, I’m going to try to make a one-day trek to Mount Palomar Observatory some time later this month on a Saturday (before college football season starts…BEAT THE RAZORBACKS!). My main motivation for going is to simply drive Route 76. I first learned of the drive through Subaru’s Winter 2006 issue of its Drive magazine (www.drive.subaru.com).
Full article here.
Who would like to go on a 3-hour tour…a 3-hour tour with me and “Devoted Dan” (the car I drive)? Actually, it’d probably take the whole day.
On a closing note (pun intended) as you will see/hear, the song currently on my heart is “Free” by Steven Curtis Chapman from the Signs of Life album (©1996 Sparrow Records). How God put it on my heart is through the message given from His Word on Friday night.
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
-Galatians 5:1 (English Standard Version) – All of Paul’s letter to the Galatians – Chapter 5 here
Although this song mainly revolves around Jesus’ words in John 8, verses 31-38 to be more specific, this song still wins in terms of coming to my mind. Another one is “I’m Free” by Geoff Moore & The Distance on their Threads album (©1997 ForeFront Records).
The sun was beating down inside the walls of stone and razor wire
As we made our way across the prison yard
I felt my heart begin to race as we drew nearer to the place
Where they say that death is waiting in the dark
The slamming doors of iron echoed through the halls
Where despair holds life within its cruel claws
But then I met a man who’s face seemed so strangely out of place
A blinding light of hope was shining in his eyes
And with repentance in his voice he told me of his tragic choice
That led him to this place where he must pay the price
But then his voice grew strong as he began to tell
About the One he said had rescued him from hell, he said . . .
I’m free, yeah, oh, I have been forgiven
God’s love has taken off my chains and given me these wings
And I’m free, yeah, yeah, and the freedom I’ve been given
Is something that not even death can take away from me
Because I’m free
Jesus set me free
We said a prayer and said goodbye and tears began to fill my eyes
As I stepped back out into the blinding sun
And even as I drove away I found that I could not escape
The way he spoke of what the grace of God had done
I thought about how sin had sentenced us to die
And how God gave His only Son so you and I could say . . .
And if the Son has set you free,
Oh, if the Son has set you free
Then you are free indeed,
Oh, you are really free
If the Son has set you free,
Oh, if the Son has set you free
Then you are free, really, really, free
Oh, we’re free, yeah, oh, we have been forgiven
God’s grace has broken every chain and given us these wings
And we’re free, yeah, yeah, and the freedom we’ve been given
Is something that not even death can take from you and me
Because we’re free, yeah, the freedom we’ve been given
Is something that not even death can take from you and me
Because we’re free, oh, we’re free
We are free, we are free
The Son has set us free
If the Son has set you free
You are free indeed
Wow…it takes quite a bit of time to read almost a week and a half of Xanga entries! I think it’s time well spent (compared to playing NCAA Football 2007)! God is on the move!!!
GOD IS ON THE MOVE!!!
Jesus Christ = The People’s Champion
If you smell-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the LORD is cookin’! :raises right eyebrow:
More details to come later.
I am officially a Travis Pastrana fan after reading about some of the things he accomplished during this past weekend’s X Games! With his Subaru Rally Team USA 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Travis won the Rallying gold medal over 1995 Word Rally Driver’s Champion, Colin McRae, by 0.55 of a second. Both were driving identically prepared 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STIs by Vermont Sportscar.
Travis’ gold medal-winning run:
Colin McRae’s silver medal-winning run:
The real highlight of the event was Colin McRae’s “roll & recover” in the Sobe No Fear Subaru Impreza WRX STI:
Please pray for DCLA 2006 (http://www.dcla2006.com) at the Anaheim Convention Center which I will be helping with the Exhibit Hall Games throughout the week. Pray that God will do amazing wonders in the lives of those attending. Please pray many of these youths’ lives will be changed–that some will realize our sovereign God’s love for them and His desire to be Lord and Savior of them and that they will learn how to effectively share about their personal relationship with God through His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, with unbelievers. Please pray that I will have energy to be an effective volunteer until all is said and done on Friday. Remember everyone, it’s about being and not doing.
I won’t be able to make it to “Halftime” this week because of this commitment, but there’s nothing wrong with seeing God work in the lives of kids I’m not usually working with!